Sculpt block rich text input field provides a customizable text editing interface inside of Sculpt blocks, making it easy for anyone to create richly formatted content without having to understand HTML or CSS.
The rich text input field supports common text formatting features including text styling (color, bold, underline, italicize, strikethrough), font family selection, format stripping, ability to undo/redo typing, and link insertion.
You can create Sculpt blocks with multiple rich text input fields restricted to only the brand approved text editing features and make them available to the marketer via the block library for use in Sculpt messages.
Working With Rich Text Fields
The rich text input field type is a free-form text area with a customizable text editing interface. New Sculpt blocks with rich text input fields can be created by navigating to Content > Sculpt Blocks. You can edit existing blocks containing plain Text Area fields, that you want to replace with a rich text editor, and grant your marketers access to text formatting options for that content.
If you are new to Sculpt blocks, check out our creating Sculpt blocks video for a quick introduction.
For this example, we are going to use our downloadable Call to Action (CTA) Sculpt block, where the Body Text is set to plain Text Area field type. We will change the field type to Rich Text so our marketers can bring this content to life without touching HTML or CSS.
We are going to configure the rich text field as follows:
- Remove Underline and Strikethrough buttons
- Add Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif as an optional font-family stack
- Add 24px as an optional font size
- Add red as an optional font color
Notice that the line break HTML tag previously used in the Text Area field is no longer required. The rich text field automatically creates line breaks and paragraph spacing as the marketer organizes content using keystrokes.
If instead of using an existing Sculpt block, you created a new block with Rich Text fields, it would be necessary to add the resulting variable key names to your block HTML in order for the fields to populate correctly during message creation. Please see Adding Variable Key Names to HTML.
The following keyboard shortcuts are supported for use with the rich text input field:
|italicize||Ctrl + i||Cmd + i|
|bold||Ctrl + b||Cmd + b|
|underline||Ctrl + u||Cmd + u|
|hyperlink||Ctrl + k||Cmd + k|
|Ctrl + s||Cmd + s|
|copy||Ctrl + c||Cmd + c|
|cut||Ctrl + x||Cmd + x|
|paste||Ctrl + v||Cmd + v|
|undo||Ctrl + z||Cmd + z|
|select all||Ctrl + a||Cmd + a|
|jump to the beginning of current line||Ctrl + left arrow||Cmd + left arrow|
|jump to the end of current line||Ctrl + right arrow||Cmd+ right arrow|
Preview Rich Text Field Configuration
Using the Preview in Sculpt Editor from the toolbar menu, you can preview how the rich text field will appear to the marketer during message creation. This is a live preview of the rich text field so feel free to test your configuration before saving the block. Switch to Edit Block view if additional changes need to be made.
Configuring Link Properties
Rich text fields allow you to configure link style options available to the marketer along with adding link functions that, when enabled, will be rendered as UI elements for the marketer to simply input appropriate values into.
The Add/edit link checkbox controls the appearance of the Link properties button within the rich text field.
- Link tracking - allows the marketer to enable or disable link tracking uniquely for each link within the message.
- Link tags - enables link tag input where the marketer can enter multiple tags separated by commas.
- Link key/name - allows the marketer to assign a "friendly" name to any of the inserted links.
- Assign to list on click - exposes available list names for the marketer to choose from if they wish for the contact to be added to a specific list when the link is clicked.
- Remove from list on click - exposes available list names for the marketer to choose from if they wish for the contact to be removed from a specific list when the link is clicked.
- Set attribute(s) on click - exposes contact attributes in a dropdown menu and allows the marketer to input an attribute value to be set for the contact when the link is clicked. Note: It is necessary to have link tracking enabled in order for this feature to apply.
- Class - allows the marketer to enter specific CSS class name that will style the link according to existing brand styling rules.
The rich text field provides simple link styling options in the event CSS class is not available or needed. The Link style feature unlocks the following link styling properties:
- Font Family - specify font family names that the marketer can apply to links.
- Font size - enter allowable font sizes for the marketer to choose from when specifying link text size.
- Font color - allow the marketer to change the default link color to any color value approved by the brand.
- Text decoration - allow the marketer to apply link decoration effects from a dropdown menu such as underline or dashed.
- Font weight - allow the marketer to apply link decoration effects from a dropdown menu such as bold, bolder and lighter.
The selected link properties will be configurable by the marketer via the Sculpt block during message creation.
Saved rich text fields can be reconfigured at any time should a text formatting feature need to be added or removed. Simply navigate to Content > Sculpt Blocks, select the block containing the rich text field you wish to edit and make the necessary updates.
The next time your team uses that block, the rich text field within will contain the updated text editing interface.