In this article:
- What is the audience builder
- How to create and save audience rules
- How to recall audience rules in a message
What is the audience builder
The audience builder is used to create segments of contacts for message sending, message triggering, searching contacts and filtering analytics reports.
Using include and exclude rules and rule sets, you can create dynamic segments of contacts that are updated in real time when performing a search or when a message sends. Real time contact results can be seen in the contact counter at the top of the page when creating or editing audiences.
Multiple data sources can be used to create rules and rule sets:
- Contact Attributes
- Message clicks and opens
- Message send history
- Cart Items
- List association
- Custom events
How to create and save audience rules
For this example we will create and save an audience rule for contacts that:
- Belong to the newsletter list.
- Have opened a message in the last 30 days.
- Have not clicked a link in the last 30 days.
- Navigate to Contacts › Audience Rules
- Click the +New button.
- Click the Add Rule button to open up the list of available rules.
- Choose the Lists button to add the list rule.
- Select the option for Matches any and type the name of the list in the list field.
- Add a new rule for Behavioral - opens and select the options for Have opened any message within the past 30 days.
- Add a new rule for Behavioral - clicks and select the options for Have not clicked any message within the past 30 days.
- If you have contacts that match this audience, you will see the contact count update in real time.
- Save the audience as an audience rule by clicking the menu labeled Actions and then Save Audience Rules.
Note: When editing a previously saved audience rule, you will see options for Save and Save As in the Actions menu.
- You will then be able to recall this audience rule for future use.
How to recall saved audience rules during message creation
During message creation you have the option to create a new audience, or recall an exsisting audience rule.
On the Edit Message page, click the Load Audience Rules Button, and choose a saved audience rule.
In the next article we will learn about message scheduling and throttling.