The SMS channel allows you to send SMS texts to contacts as batch or automated messages using Cordial's native SMS solution.
Please contact your CSM for details about enabling the SMS channel for your account. The short code provisioning process may take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to complete due to the mobile carrier’s requirements.
Once your short code has been approved and SMS channel enabled for your Cordial account, you will gain access to SMS Settings directly in the Account Settings page.
Navigate to Account Settings, located in the account management dropdown.
From the Account Settings page, locate the SMS Settings panel and click the Edit button to access the SMS configuration page.
Let's explore each of the configuration options in more detail.
Configure Your SMS Program
This is where your general SMS program details can be configured. Much of this information will be created on your behalf by your CSM during the initial SMS channel setup for your account.
- SMS shortcode - Your SMS short code. Must be an approved and active short code.
- Program name - Enter the name of your program.
- Program keyword (optional) - Enter the keyword that contacts will text to your short code in order to subscribe to your SMS program. If not specified, the default opt-in keywords will still apply (yes, y, optin, opt-in).
- Brand name - Enter your brand name. This brand name will count toward the 160 character limit for opt-in and opt-out messages.
Customize Your Opt-In Message
Your contacts will receive the opt-in message immediately after texting yes, y, optin, opt-in or your program keyword to the short code. Note that a contact will not be subscribed until they confirm their subscription, or double opt-in, by texting back any one of the approved opt-in text codes after receiving the opt-in message.
- Opt-in message preview - Displays the entire opt-in message as it will appear to your contacts and the remaining number of characters before reaching 160 characters.
- Opt-in message - Customize the opt-in message your contacts will receive when they text the program keyword to your short code. Be sure to include the keywords for opt-in, stop and help.
Save any desired changes and send a test of the opt-in message by clicking Send Test.
Customize Your Opt-In Confirmation Message
The opt-in confirmation message will be sent to those contacts who confirm their subscription following receipt of the opt-in message.
- Opt-in confirmation preview -Displays the entire opt-in confirmation message as it will appear to your contacts. Take note of the "characters remaining" display. Confirmation messages using more than 160 characters will be delivered as multiple SMS messages according to the number of characters exceeding the limit.
- Program description - Briefly describe your program.
- Message rates - This is the required verbiage reminding your contacts that their mobile carrier may impose data and messaging fees. This field is not customizable.
- Terms and conditions link - Enter the link to your terms and conditions page. Link length will count toward the 160 character limit.
- Number of Messages - Inform your contacts how many messages they can expect to receive within the frequency limit of messages.
- Frequency of messages - Inform your contacts of the message send frequency (weekly or monthly).
- Custom opt-out keyword (optional) - You may define multiple custom opt-out keywords separated by commas. The very first custom keyword on the list will automatically be used in the opt-out message. If no custom keywords are specified, the words STOP, QUIT, and OPT-OUT will be used by default. Learn more about SMS subscribe status and default keywords.
Save any desired changes and send a test of the opt-in confirmation message by clicking Send Test.
Customize Your Help Message
The last step is to customize the message that contacts will receive when they respond with the HELP code.
- Help message preview - Displays the entire help message as it will appear to your contacts.
- Help message - Enter the help message and include a phone number or email address where the contact can request support.
Save any desired changes and send a test of the help message by clicking Send Test.
Using the SMS Channel
Once SMS is enabled and fully configured, you will see options for the SMS channel throughout the platform, including batch and automated messages, building audiences and creating reports.
Create a New Message Using the SMS Channel
Once the channel has been selected, configure the message settings and create the message content for the SMS channel.
Segment Contacts Using the SMS Channel
Notes on SMS Functionality
Subscribing a Contact
A contact's SMS channel will be set to subscribed when they send a message to your short code with any of the following text codes (not case sensitive):
Unsubscribing a Contact
A contact's SMS channel will be set to unsubscribed when they send a message to your short code with any of the following text codes (not case sensitive):
- The custom code you created in the Confirmation Message setup.
SMS Short Code Support
Currently, only U.S. issued short codes are supported. Your U.S. based short code cannot be used to send messages to non-U.S. phone numbers and over non-U.S. carrier networks.
SMS Short Codes are a One Way Communication
SMS short code messages are a one-way communication and cannot be used for conversational purposes. For example, you can send an SMS to promote a shoe sale, but contacts will not be able to respond with questions regarding the sale or request information on a recent order.