This video shows you how to create a welcome series using automated messages.
- Create Initial Welcome Message (:48)
- Create Follow Up Welcome Message (4:02)
Automated messages are used for triggered message sends. They can be sent through any available channel: email or mobile push (via Urban Airship integration).
Actions needed to create and send an automated message:
- Create new automation
- Create the message content
- Publish the message
- Enable the sending method
- Configure message settings
Create new automation
- Navigate to Message Automation › Create New Automation.
- Fill out the fields to create a new automated message.
- Message name - The friendly name that will be referenced in the system.
- Message key - The name used to reference the message in the database for API calls.
- Tags - Used for searching messages in the system.
- Classification - Give the message a classification to comply with SPAM laws.
- Promotional - For subscribers that gave permission to receive a promotional message. Note that promotional messages will only be sent to contacts that are both valid and have a subscribe status of "subscribed".
- Transactional - For subscribers that are receiving the message based on an order. Transactional messages can be sent to anyone who is valid regardless of their subscribe status.
- If your account has multiple sending transports, be sure to choose the appropriate transport for the designated message classification.
- Transactional classification should only be set when you are certain the message meets your local legislation for what is defined as a transactional message.
- Channels - Choose the desired channel.
Create the message content
The message content requirements will differ depending on the channel.
Publish the message
Before a message is published, it is labeled as a draft message and sending methods will be disabled.
After completing the message headers and message content, the message can be published.
Click the button labeled "Publish" to publish the message.
The published message is the version that will be sent.
You are able to work on another draft without affecting the published version for testing purposes.
Past versions are automatically saved and are available for rolling back.
Enable the sending method
The sending method determines how the message will be sent. There are 3 sending methods:
- API - messages that are send via an API call.
- Event Triggered - messages that are sent from a event trigger.
- Recurring - messages that are sent on a recurring basis.
Configure message settings
Under the settings section you can configure settings for Goals and Tracking as well as Delivery Settings.
Goals and Tracking
Choose whether the aggregate message performance stats will be rolled up daily or hourly. After a message has been sent you can view message aggregate performance under the Message Performance tab.
Choose whether to enable or disable link tracking for all links in the message. You are able to disable link tracking on individual links using Smarty.
During account creation, your account is set up with a sending transport. If your account has multiple sending transports, you will have the option to choose the transport for the message. To maintain healthy delivery, be sure to choose the sending transport that matches the classification that you set for the message (promotional or transactional).
In the next article we will learn about content versioning.